Our sweet children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, January 23, 2012

We took Brooks to Florida a few weeks ago.  We thought (and so did he) that Islands of Adventure would be the best place on this Earth for him.  We were so wrong.  

It was way to old for him and the Spiderman ride scarred him for life.  

He couldn't stand it and cried most of the time we were there.  

It was a great reminder to us that HE'S ONLY FOUR!  He's so big, so brave and so into Superhero's that we just assumed he'd be okay on a ride that was fast and freaky.  

He wasn't.

He much preferred the rides like Cat in the Hat and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.   
 We took him to Sea World on the wettest and coldest Florida day we've ever experienced.  It was still a blast and Brooks didn't care if he was wet.  We offered him a hat and a rain poncho several times, but he declined our offer and assured us that boys are supposed to be wet. I hate being cold, but somehow managed to survive.  It was 60 degrees, after all.
 Brooks does not like to be the center of attention.  He cringes when we ask him to do silly things or wear silly clothing.  He just doesn't love having people look at him.
 We went to Lego Land as well.  Brooks adored this place and was thrilled that every ride (even the big ones) were geared for kids under 8 years old.  He ran from ride to ride, the place seemed empty and the lines were short.  It was perfect and a really fun day of bonding with our little man.
 Once he got over being embarrassed to ride the "baby rides" he had so much fun. A lot of the time he looks at us for approval and when we nod our heads that it's "cool" he's all for it.  He seems to need more approval than some kids.  It kind of makes me sad because I just want him to be free and confident to be who he is and enjoy what he enjoys.
(Someday, I'll have to blog about how sad it is that a four year old is worried about what he wears to school.  It breaks my heart and I have some thoughts on what I'm going to do to teach Brooks to love himself and have confidence in who he is and how he dresses and what he's interested in.  That will be a great post.  Someday when I'm rested (what?) I'll share my deepest thoughts on that.)

 I have a picture of me at Disney when I was about 6 years old looking through a rope bridge.  I need to find it because Brooks and I look like twins.  It's amazing how strong my gene pool is.
 Not to be left out...DADDY.  
Brooks has the best Daddy in the whole world.  I don't even know where to start.  He's patient, loving, fun, athletic, silly, involved, smart, and everything that a kid would want in a Daddy.  
 I love pictures like this where you can just tell by the look in his eyes that Brooks adores his daddy.

Where was Chloe during the trip? 
She was home with her Oma and Opa. 
That post will be next.
Don't feel bad for her.  She didn't miss out on anything and got more attention and spoiling than any little girl I've ever met.