Our sweet children...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 23, 2011

We celebrated my Grandpa Doty's 91st Birthday on Friday. What a blessing he is to our family. You'd never know he's 91 years old.

He still shovels his own driveway and sidewalk (even though we tell him not too). Often, when we get there to plow him out, he's already been outside for a couple of hours doing it himself. I know that doing his own chores makes him feel good, so we just make a point now to get to Grandpa's as soon as it starts to snow.

He lost his wife a few years back (my Grandma) and we could see Grandpa dying right before our eyes. He spent time in the hospital for many different symptoms, many of which pointed back to "a broken heart" or "depression".

During all of this my Grandpa met a woman named Garnette. Garnette goes to the same church as my Grandpa and they had been friends for ages. Garnette was also a widow. They began to date and ALL of my Grandpa's symptoms went away. He was no longer sick. Garnette was all it took to heal my Grandpa.

They have been married now for lots of years (I think 7) and she is such a blessing to our family. My Grandma Doty even had said before she died, that if she died she'd want my Grandpa to marry someone like Garnette!

In our prayer for my Grandpa on his 91st birthday, we thanked the Lord for him and also for Garnette, who came into my Grandpa's life at the perfect moment (God's plan) and gave him several more years of life on earth.

We love you, Grandpa. Happy Birthday.